victoria_cross george cross scan0004

b. 18/12/1891 Cresco, Iowa.  d. 18/01/1990 Fairfax, Virginia.


DATE OF MOH ACTION: 21/05/1918 U-90.


He was born with the last name of Isaacs, the youngest of nine children, in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, to Balthazar (born in Alsace-Lorraine) and Mathilda Geuth (born in Philadelphia, with the family heritage from Baden-Württemberg).


Izac attended the School of the Assumption, Cresco, Iowa, the high school at South St. Paul, Minnesota, and Werntz Preparatory School, Annapolis, Maryland. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1915. The day following his graduation from the academy he married Agnes Cabell (died 1975), daughter of General De Rosey Carroll Cabell.


He first served on the battleship USS Florida (BB-30), then after he was promoted from ensign to lieutenant (junior grade), he signed up for the Naval Transport Service. During this time, his daughter Cabell was born in 1916. He transferred to the troop transport USS President Lincoln in July 1917. From her maiden voyage in the U.S. Navy, October 18, 1917, she made five successful trips to Europe and back.


On May 31, 1918, President Lincoln sank after being struck by three torpedoes from the German submarine U–90. Izac was taken aboard the U–90 as a prisoner of war. Learning valuable information about enemy submarine movements on the trip to Germany, he tried to escape several times. On one attempt, he was injured after jumping through the window of a moving train. He finally succeeded in escaping, with several others, from a German prison camp on the night of October 6–7. He and Sub-Lieutenant Willis reached neutral Switzerland on October 13. Upon reaching London, he passed on his information to Admiral Sims; by that time, however, the war was nearly over, and Sims showed little interest. Nevertheless, for his actions, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.


He was forced to retire in 1921 on account of wounds received while a prisoner of war in Germany. His awards included the Croce di Guerra al Merito of Italy and the Cross of Montenegro.


Izac then relocated to San Diego, California, and engaged in newspaper work and writing from 1922 to 1928. In January 1936, he was promoted to lieutenant commander on the retired list.


He was an unsuccessful candidate for election in 1934 to the Seventy-fourth Congress, and a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in 1940 and 1944. Izac was elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-fifth and to the four succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1937 – January 3, 1947). He lost his reelection bid to the Eightieth Congress in 1946.


Interested in lumbering, Izac raised thoroughbred cattle on a farm in Gordonsville, Virginia, before residing in Bethesda, Maryland.


Izac was a resident of Fairfax, Virginia, from 1988 until his death in 1990.




When the U.S.S. President Lincoln was attacked and sunk by the German submarine U-90, on May 21, 1918, Lt. Izac was captured and held as a prisoner on board the U-90 until the return of the submarine to Germany, when he was confined in the prison camp. During his stay on the U-90 he obtained information of the movements of German submarines which was so important that he was determined to escape, with a view to making this information available to the U.S. and Allied Naval authorities. In attempting to carry out this plan, he jumped through the window of a rapidly moving train at the imminent risk of death, not only from the nature of the act itself but from the fire of the armed German soldiers who were guarding him. Having been recaptured and reconfined, Lt. Izac made a second and successful attempt to escape, breaking his way through barbed-wire fences and deliberately drawing the fire of the armed guards in the hope of permitting others to escape during the confusion. He made his way through the mountains of southwestern Germany, having only raw vegetables for food, and at the end, swam the River Rhine during the night in the immediate vicinity of German sentries.



Section 3, Grave 4222-16



Edouard Victor Michel Izac