victoria_cross george cross scan0004

b. 10/07/1918 Toledo, Ohio. d. 06/04/1945 Untergriesham, Germany.


DATE OF MOH ACTION: 06/04/1945 Untergriesham, Germany.


World War II Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. Born in in Toledo, Ohio, he served as a 1st Lieutenant in the 861st Field Artillery Battalion, 63rd Infantry Division, U S Army. On April 6, 1945, Lieutenant Robinson was a field artillery observer attached to Company A, 253rd Infantry, at Untergriesheim, Germany. After eight hours of fighting the company lost its commanding officer and nearly all of its enlisted men. Lieutenant Robinson took over command of the unit, led his men in a charge against the objective and killed ten of the enemy in an assault. Ordered to seize the town, he led his men forward in the advance, was mortally wounded in the throat, but refused medical attention and continued to direct artillery fire. After the town was taken he walked nearly two miles to an aid station, where he died. For intrepid leadership responsible for the success of the mission against tremendous odds, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.




He was a field artillery forward observer attached to Company A, 253d Infantry, near Untergriesheim, Germany, on 6 April 1945. Eight hours of desperate fighting over open terrain swept by German machinegun, mortar, and small-arms fire had decimated Company A, robbing it of its commanding officer and most of its key enlisted personnel when 1st Lt. Robinson rallied the 23 remaining uninjured riflemen and a few walking wounded, and, while carrying his heavy radio for communication with American batteries, led them through intense fire in a charge against the objective. Ten German infantrymen in foxholes threatened to stop the assault, but the gallant leader killed them all at point-blank range with rifle and pistol fire and then pressed on with his men to sweep the area of all resistance. Soon afterward he was ordered to seize the defended town of Kressbach. He went to each of the 19 exhausted survivors with cheering words, instilling in them courage and fortitude, before leading the little band forward once more. In the advance he was seriously wounded in the throat by a shell fragment, but, despite great pain and loss of blood, he refused medical attention and continued the attack, directing supporting artillery fire even though he was mortally wounded. Only after the town had been taken and he could no longer speak did he leave the command he had inspired in victory and walk nearly 2 miles to an aid station where he died from his wound. By his intrepid leadership 1st Lt. Robinson was directly responsible for Company A's accomplishing its mission against tremendous odds.



Section T Site 98










James E Robinson Jnr

robinson james e robinson james e grave